We all agree that customer service is important but does that drive everyone's actions?
- 80% of businesses believe they deliver superior customer service while only 8% of customers think the same companies actually do.
- Billions use social media every day and twice as many consumers (67%) have used social media for customer service than to view a brand’s marketing.
I have the tweets to prove it.
Basecamp’s Twitter Account Showcases Customer Service
Basecamp’s support page says if a question is tweeted, it will receive an instant reply.
I thought no way and tweeted at them to test response time.
I was expecting a response in about an hour. They responded in 10 minutes.
I was stunned.
32% of customers expect a response within thirty minutes of their social media question/complaint so 10 minutes is instant.
Not an Isolated Incident
Does Basecamp always respond instantly? Yes.
According to a random sample of Basecamp’s Twitter timeline, I found even faster response times:
8 minute response time
6 minute response time
7 minute response time
Impact on Me as a Customer
I am an even happier with Basecamp. They answered my nagging question instantly and even if it cost less, why would I use any other online collaboration tool? Basecamp has my trust and business.
Experiences like this are why 80% of customers say they would pay more for better customer service.
How Can Your Business Execute Customer Service Like Basecamp?
- Embrace customer service on social media (see Basecamp’s support page as an example) and encourage customers to tweet their questions
- Set up Twitter phone application or email alerts that will monitor direct company mentions (@companyname). These direct mentions will show up in Twitter notifications (very bottom of the phone application and top of the browser on desktop).
- Occasionally search indirect company mentions on Twitter with the free Google Alerts and Social Mention tools. An indirect mention is when someone tweets a company’s name without the @ symbol so it does not show up in Twitter notifications.
Less than a week after writing about Basecamp’s awesome Twitter customer service, they mailed me a handwritten letter thanking me for being a great Basecamp customer. They nailed it again.
Find Me Here:
I share social media basics and success stories, press the heart button if you are impressed with Basecamp’s customer service.
Even though I write this on every post, thanks for reading.